Thursday 11 October 2012

Film Pre-Preposal



Location: For location, I would really like to use a number of different urban places with a lot of grey brickwork but also some aspects of bright colour. To link with the style and tone, I would like to make the shots quite grey/blue, making it look quite flat and grotty as I really like how this looked in Fish Tank. However, I would also like to use some contrasting shots of colour to also link to the style of some of Wes Anderson’s films. For these reasons, I think the Southbank Centre would be really useful as it has the perfect balance between colour and also contains lots of grey architecture. Generally I would like to use colour in the background for the main character and so I think the Southbank skatepark would be perfect for this. By using colour in the background, I would like it to juxtapose against the character, who I would like to be dressed in quite dark clothes and possibly use some affect to make them look as if they really don’t fit in. I’d also really like to use some of the rows of houses in places in Central London such as Notting Hill and Portabello Road to add more colour in. I also have an idea of what type of camera shots and angles I would like to use with different locations. For the very urban and grey shots, I would like to use quite close up, open shots to give an air of business. For these shots I would really like to use bridges/the river as well, to make it seem like everything else is moving around the central character while they are stationary.


























Style and Tone: For style and tone, I have two main ideas that I would, if possible, like to incorporate together. As I would like my location to be very urban and to have quite a depressing and menacing feel, I would like to have a grey/blue background to give quite a grimey and flat feel to the camera shots. However, I’m really inspired by the style of Wes Anderson, who focuses on the text and graphics as well as the framing of the shots and mise en scene. He tends to be very particular with how things are placed and what colours are used and so I would really like to incorporate some of his style by using colour and framing to contrast against my main character which highlights her against the background.
I really like the way Anderson tends to introduce the settings of the scenes with clear bold font. However, I think this lightens the mood and makes it slightly comical, however I would like to use this style for the positioning and font of my credits so that they look bold and stand out against the background.
         I also have an idea of having the whole opening scene as very busy and crowded and so for this I would like to copy some of the frames of the opening scene in ‘Collateral’, by having a clear shot of the most important character and then have everything around them very blurred. To create this, I would like to have open shots to make it look messy and crowded. By having my main character stationary and clearly framed, I think it singles her out from the crowd and obviously shows she is the most important.

My main influence of style and tone comes from ‘Fish Tank’ and grotty TV series such as ‘Skins’ and ‘This is England’. Films/programmes like these have a very urban feel and reflect on this in the grey/blue style which I would really like to replicate in my opening. 





Character: For my main character, I would like to generally base her look on one of my favourite actresses, Chloe Moretz, especially her roles as Lulu from 'Hick' and Abby from 'Let Me In.' However, to match my idea of a grey/flattish style and tone, I would like my character to look slightly more ruffled with less of a Hollywood glossy feel, so I would also like to take on the style of the actress Juno Temple and Mia from 'Fish Tank.' For my characters personality, I would like her to be quite independent and feisty but also have a weaker side to her, similar to the character of Effy from 'Skins.' I would like her to be between the age of 17-20 (to be fully decided after narrative). I am not 100% sure of what I would like her name to be yet but I think something quite short and also slightly original but not completely abnormal (similar to Effy or Lulu). 

Title and Credits: For my title, I am not 100% sure about what I would like it to be but I think it would like to be short, possibly one word or just the main character’s name. I really like titles of films such as ‘Hick’, ‘Broken’ and ‘Skins’.
I would like subtle and simple, bold font, similar to the style from ‘Fish Tank’. I would also like it to be on the sides of the screen so not centre and while the picture is showing, so no blackouts etc. For example: Wimbledon – I really like this opening but for my film I would not like to use blackouts and I want to have the graphics towards the bottom left/right of the screen instead of the centre 




Music: For sounds within the opening, I would either just like to use diegetic sounds (business of streets, talking etc.) or I would like to use quiet background music, most likely classical (mainly piano) and quite subtle. Alternatively, I would like to use quite melancholy vocals.
Examples:
Point of Disgust - Low

Intro – The XX


Black Flies – Ben Howard

For either case, I think I would like to use a voice over of the main character talking (within her own thoughts, memories etc.)

Narrative: I’m not entirely sure at the moment, but the image I have in my mind is having the main character going for a run/walking through busy streets but making her look very stationary and slow compared to the rest of the surroundings. I would like her to be talking over the top, possibly referring to an important memory (not decided yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment